South Africa

Kohli: Run outs the turning point

South Africa were looking solid at 140-2 at The Oval on Sunday before captain De Villiers was caught a yard out of his ground, with Miller exiting in the next over after a disastrous mix-up with Faf du Plessis.

India took the last eight South Africa wickets for 51 runs and a serene Kohli was unbeaten on 76 as his team cruised home with 12 overs to spare to set up a likely semi-final with neighbours Bangladesh at Edgbaston on Thursday.

South Africa's Jacob Zuma abandons rally after being booed

Scuffles also broke between Mr Zuma's supporters and opponents, resulting in all speeches being cancelled.

The main labour federation, Cosatu, called on Mr Zuma to step down last month after he sacked his widely respected finance minister.

Mr Zuma has vowed to remain in office until his term ends in 2019.

 

South Africa still have "homework" to do ahead of Singapore

With teams still getting in their recovery training after the three tough days in Hong Kong, they've had time to look back on what was and what could have been.

Not least for USA captain Madison Hughes, who led his side to extra-time in the semi-finals against series leaders South Africa, before a mistake cost them the game.

“We were really disappointed, as they are a fantastic team," said Hughes.

South Africa hard to catch - Fiji 7s coach

Fiji head into the Singapore sevens this weekend fresh off a comprehensive Hong Kong tournament victory.

Fiji is currently second on the series ladder with 122 points, with the Blitz Bokke 23 points ahead.

Teams receive 22 points a tournament win, the runner-up gets 19 and the third place team is awarded 17 points.

Gareth Baber said this means South Africa will have to drop their standards signifcantly for Fiji to have a chance.

"They have been a model of consistency throughout the series," Baber said.

Teams slam SANZAAR over Super Rugby cuts

It appears the Brumbies, Reds and Waratahs are in the clear, but the Western Force and Melbourne Rebels have been left to battle it out for survival.

Last month, the Force was widely tipped to be the Australian team to get the chop.

But it has since emerged that it will be a genuine two-horse race for survival between the Force and Rebels.

The Australian Rugby Union will now let the two endangered franchises plead their case for survival.

Three teams to go from Super Rugby

The restructuring comes after widespread criticism of the first season of the 18-team format, which was introduced in 2016 after Argentina's Jaguares and the Sunwolves of Japan, joined the competition and the Port Elizabeth-based Kings returned.

SANZAAR has left it to the national rugby unions involved to announce the teams to be cut, Australia's Perth-based Western Force and South Africa's Kings and Cheetahs widely considered the most vulnerable franchises.

Calls made for South Africa to be cut from Super Rugby

The Western Force is reportedly set to be the Australian franchise axed from next year's Super Rugby competition if SANZAAR pushes forward with a proposed restructure.

An announcement on the restructure is expected this week.

McGrath said the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) needs to protect its' five Super Rugby teams even if it means forging a new competition with sides from New Zealand and Asia.

McGrath oversaw the introduction of the Melbourne Rebels into Super Rugby in 2011, Australia's fifth side.

South Africa to decide future

Three weeks ago in London agreement was reached around the Sanzaar board table to cut three teams and reduce to a 15-team competition next year. But with so many stakeholders involved, it is not that simple and by no means a guaranteed outcome.

As far as immediate decision-making goes, New Zealand sits largely on the outer, and Australia's hands are tied. Hence why the Australian Rugby Union continue to say nothing worth repeating despite credible reports the Western Force are set for the chop.

Urgency needed in finding a city to host 2022 Commonwealth Games

The Commonwealth Games Federation has stripped Durban has been stripped of the event, after it failed to meet financial and other key commitments.

Commonwealth Games: Durban stripped of right to hold 2022 Games

Durban was stripped of the right to stage the 2022 Commonwealth Games on Monday after a trail of missed deadlines and financial problems that highlights the daunting burdens facing host cities for major sporting events.

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said the South African coastal city had failed to meet the promises contained in its bid, and the search for a replacement host was now on.

"The CGF is fully confident and committed to delivering a successful Commonwealth Games for athletes and fans in 2022," its president Louise Martin said.