Melbourne Storm on top of NRL ladder after hammering Sydney Roosters

Melbourne is back on top of the NRL ladder after thrashing the Sydney Roosters 46-0 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The emphatic victory saw the Storm reclaim first place on the ladder from Cronulla and they will hang on to it despite the fact the Sharks are yet to play their round-14 game.

Cronulla would have to beat reigning premiers North Queensland by more than 42 points on Monday night in what would be its 10th-straight win to take top spot back.

On Saturday night, the Storm looked every part worthy ladder leaders as long-serving stars Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk led them around the park.

Cronk nabbed two tries to take his tally to nine for the season, but he was not alone.

Prolific rookie winger Suliasi Vunivalu also crossed for three tries, giving him 11 in just seven games.

The rookies first two came on assists from former Eels centre Ryan Morgan in the eighth and 18th minutes, while the third was on the end of a superb cut-out pass by full-back Cameron Munster five minutes from full-time.

Smith was his usual self, topping the team's tackle count and adding a try assist to an all-round solid game, but he produced one moment of particular brilliance for the highlight reel.

After throwing aside some advertising signage while lining up his sideline conversion for Vunivali's second try, Smith started his approach as he has done so many times before, but his plant foot went out from under him as he reached the ball, landing him on his backside.

But it did not have any impact on the kick, which flew straight as an arrow and right through the middle of the uprights.

GIF: Cameron Smith slips over but still converts from the sideline

Smith only missed one of his eight attempts on the night as Munster, Kevin Proctor and Cheyse Blair also crossed for tries against a lacklustre Roosters side that should have put points on the board through Blake Ferguson on two occasions.

In the first half, Ferguson pinched a Jake Friend grubber away from Munster 10 metres from the line, only to drop it as he stumbled.

Then, in the second half, he threw an offload to Mitch Aubusson as he was going to ground in a Marika Koroibete tackle that ultimately carried him over the tryline.